THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday 31 August 2011

Amy VS The Monster

"Give 'Em Hell, Kid" – My Chemical Romance

In return to my guest-post on my best friend, Emma's Blog (Teapot_Diabetic), she wrote a guest post for my Blog:

I first met Amy about 3 years ago when I first started at my current job. I was pretty quiet and apparently didn't like saying bye to her.. a lot of tumble-weed moments!. Amy was a few years older than me, a lot more confident and had an ever so slightly inappropriate/naughty sense of humour :)

Amy and I got to know each other a little more after I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes just a year later, as she was concerned for me and is very medically curious. Feeling alone and coming to terms with a condition that is 24/7 and a pretty big part of my life, I found it almost therapeutic to answer her questions knowing that I wasn't boring her silly.

It was at my twenty-first birthday party that I really got to know this funny, quick-witted and kind person who I'm incredibly proud and lucky to call my best friend.

Definition of Clinical Depression - Clinical Depression is caused when the brain does not produce or release anywhere near a "normal" amount of Serotonin, leading to severe anxiety, stress and mood swings. For example, most people enjoy chocolate. Chocolate has been scientifically proven to increase the production and release of serotonin in the brain, so therefore you feel really happy when you eat it.

Amy has always been very open and honest with me about her condition (slightly inappropriate humour included) and was always brilliant at answering questions whenever I got a little curious too. I didn't have a lot of knowledge on the subject before meeting Amy and had no idea how difficult and sometimes gruelling this condition can be, especially when undiagnosed.

After we became closer as friends, and a number of quite frank conversations I found out more about Amy's depression and what she went through as a teenager with alcohol, drugs and self-harm. I was pretty shocked and upset to think of my Amy feeling that hurt, angry and alone. I wish I could have been there for her as she has been there for me on so many occasions. I might not have been the biggest help but I'd have tried my damnest to comfort her and show her that she wasn't alone.

It was a few weeks later that Amy told me she wanted to start a blog about her experiences so she could help people in a similar situation, and to show that clinical depression isn't a 'made-up' condition, it's very real and affects people every day. I thought it was a great idea and, going by my own experience, would help her as much as the people reading it. I won't lie, when I read it I bawled my eyes out. Not the most useful thing to do and not what she needs but I couldn't help it. If I could take all the pain that Amy has suffered away, then I would do it in a nano second without hesitation.

Amy is the strongest and bravest person I've ever had the privilage to meet and that's why I love her to bits. Although she sometimes doubts herself and has the occasional wobble I'd like to think that she knows she can come to me with anything at anytime, good or bad and I'll be there in a shot.

I have my D's ass to kick and Amy has hers, hopefully we'll be doing it together as a joint effort as BFFs until we're old and grey.
Love you x

0 comments: